Friday 7 October 2011

What do you think of my story start?

The first thing I noticed was that something had changed. I couldn’t see anything or hear anything, but I knew that something was different. The world had been altered somehow, and I still couldn’t remember what it was. I could feel soft fabric under my head, like freshly changed bed sheets. I twitched my fingers, and felt a light weight over top of me. I could smell something, a stale detergent smell mingled with not enough oxygen. My mouth tasted dry, like I hadn’t drunk any water for a long time. I heard footsteps, soft and unthreatening, quickly moving towards me.

“Helena, are you awake?”

Who was that?

I twitched my eyelids, trying to open them. But I had forgotten how to command my muscles properly, and they only twitched pathetically. I could moan, though.

“Oh, so you are awake, sweetheart.” The voice was soft and caring, and it gave me the courage to open my eyelids.

I saw that everything was white, stark white and boring. The walls and floor were white like…

“Where am I?” My voice was scratchy with disuse, and I could barely recognize it.

The small woman was dressed in a plain green shirt and her black hair was tied into a bun behind her head. She looked at me, smiling softly.

“Honey, you’re in the hospital.”

I stared at her, confused. “I’ve never been to the hospital in my life.”

She shook her head and placed something next to my bed. “There’s a first time for everything.”

I watched her walk away, and then looked over to see what she had placed next to my bed. I saw it was a vase filled with flowers: purple roses. I stared at them, finding them unearthly beautiful. I felt something crawling down the side of my cheek and wiped it away with the back of my hand.

It was a tear.



i know its rough and it might be crap but i want to know your opinion, (shes been in a crash or somethig and her friend died)
What do you think of my story start?
It's...interesting. Nicely written, too. You have a great hook, in my opinion. If you change anything about this, don't change that. It works beautifully to reel the reader in.



This sentence bothered me: %26quot;I could feel soft fabric under my head, like freshly changed bed sheets.%26quot; Is there a difference between the way freshly changed and un-freshly changed sheets feel underneath your head? Personally, I'm not sensitive enough to notice the difference.



You fall a bit into the %26quot;I%26quot; trap, starting a lot of sentences with %26quot;I.%26quot; But it's not too annoying and in first person narrative, it can be difficult sometimes. You do a good job of not starting EVERY sentence with %26quot;I%26quot; but there's still quite a big number. Better sentence beginnings would help.



Other than that, I think it's good. For a rough draft, it shows a lot of potential. Good job.
What do you think of my story start?
Good stuff!

Report Abuse


thanx!

Report Abuse


If you like to write you should try www.storyjoin.com It allows you to collaborate with other members and write stories together. It's cool to see how the story ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment