Friday 7 October 2011

Could this be a brain tumor?

Hm. I'm going to get straight to the point.



First of all, I'm a 16-year-old girl. For the past 7-8 or so months I've been having trouble with lightheadedness. It was always whenever I either experienced a sudden change in lighting, (no matter how small) or got up too fast, I would get these colorful spots in my vision that would completely blind me for a few minutes. After that passed, I would always get this horrible splitting headache for 10-15 seconds.



Within the last month, the lightheadedness and everything has gotten MUCH worse; I can't do anything without setting it off. About..5-6 months ago my memory started a slow - barely noticeable - decline. This progressed faster within the past month or so as well. Words hardly hold their meanings for me anymore; I'm not even sure if I'm making sense with what I'm writing at this moment.



I'll use an example of how my memory was as of 2 weeks ago from another question I'd posted. I simply can't remember other examples anymore.



%26quot;I read AND UNDERSTOOD this one lesson in algebra the last time I went over it - which was on Friday.



However, I went to take a test on it yesterday (Monday/Tuesday) and..everything looked completely new to me. I'd read the right lesson - and did all the problems associated with it - but I simply couldn't remember how to solve the problems. I even went back into the book afterwards to look the lesson over but, like with the test, everything looked...new.



I'm sure it was the right lesson too.. There's no doubt that it was..%26quot;



And it's gotten even worse since then.



When events happen, I can never remember when they occurred; whether it was the day before, that morning, or a week before. Time doesn't seem to exist anymore; I never know what day it is.



I feel like I've been skipping days of the week because I simply can't remember anything from that day.



My legs are very heavy; I'm getting to where I'm barely able to walk. New symptoms seem to be popping up by the day. Yesterday I started feeling a stinging pain in my arm - then it went numb and stayed like that for about 30 minutes. Last night my hands/wrists suddenly felt very warm and started to ache. I've literally had a constant headache for the past 7 days. Pain relievers don't work at all.



It's pretty scary; I was able to walk properly about 3 days ago. Now I can't and I'm mostly confined to my bed.



Earlier today I felt a rather large bump on my head to the upper left of my right temple. It almost feels like bone, and it hurts to touch. The thing extends up into my hairline - I'm not sure how much further it goes after that. I haven't gone through ANY head trauma at all that would cause it. My mom doesn't know about it because she's at work; should I call her? I had an MRI a couple days ago and, if the situation is serious, my neurologist will be calling her to discuss the results by tomorrow or so.



My mind feels like it's in a thick and constant fog; I can't concentrate on anything and often find myself unintentionally staring into space for a minute or two at a time.



I've been expecting the worst, and I'm pretty much convincing myself that I DO have a tumor so that if I don't, I'll be relieved. Well, a little anyway..



Please give me an honest opinion; does this sound like it could be one? I'm not looking for an official diagnosis - I just want to know if it's a possibility just in case.



If you don't think it is, then what do you think it could be?



Thank you for putting up with my horrifically long..pfft. This couldn't even be called a question/message; it's a book.



But yeah, thank you. :)
Could this be a brain tumor?
Well, your symptoms are not really indicative of brain tumor...you also wouldn't feel it bulging out of your head. It does sound like a deficiency of some kind. You should have a complete cbc workup. I felt similar when my potassium dropped dangerously low...which can kill you! Combine that with your depression and possible low blood sugar and you've pretty much got all your symptoms covered. If it was a brain tumor, your dr would inform you and your mom immediately, not a week later.
Could this be a brain tumor?
Firstly, if you read AND UNDERSTOOD one lesson in algebra you are doing better than me lol. Your symptoms do sound neurological. What amazes me is before going all through that long process, no doctor ever looks at B12 deficiency. I'm not saying you do have it, but your symptoms are all listed. There are of course many conditions that cause your problems but having a B12 test cannot hurt at all. A urinary methylmalonic test is the most accurate at picking up a B12 deficiency. A B12 serum test is not accurate but i recommend over 800pg/L at the very least. Have fun with the B12 deficiency test anyway lol.



Edit: that you mention fatigue! is a huge indicator..have a test stat! I have had very low B12 as i have autoimmune pernicious anaemia. :)



Vitamin B12 deficiency test:

http://www.b12d.org/content/B12-signs-sy鈥?/a>

No comments:

Post a Comment