Friday 7 October 2011

I had a panic attack in my car 10 months ago and since then i have not drove due to the fear. please help.?

How do I drive again alone with out being fearful. When ever I try and get panicky and nervous and all these thoughts rush in my head, like i am going to meet in an accident etc. Waiting at the stop ligh is the worst because I cannot wait for the light to change, i start to get nervous and think alot. My family pressures me alot to drive again but I am so nervous. My anxiety has gotten so bad I do not even stay alone. I always have to be around some one. Any advise. PS I am on meds and in therapy but it does not seem to be working for me.
I had a panic attack in my car 10 months ago and since then i have not drove due to the fear. please help.?
Life is full of ups and downs you should face it boldiy in my view a kind of fear has settled in your mind you have to take it out and face the truth.Nothing is going to happen to you . If you see around ,so many are there who have more troubles and sorrow than you but they are surviving so have faith in God and start a new life you will definetly have a success and will be happy . GOOD LUCK!
I had a panic attack in my car 10 months ago and since then i have not drove due to the fear. please help.?
hahaha...i don't have knowledge on driving
I honestly don't have a good answer for you but I just want to say that I went through the same exact thing! And boy, stoplights were the worst. I would just sit there twiddling my thumbs on the steering wheel in a cold sweat and thinking I was going to die right there at the stoplight.

In a bad way, reading your question makes me feel so much better, in knowing I'm not the only one.



Here's the thing, I don't know how old you are but for me I started having the panic attacks in driver's ed. I'm 18 and still don't have a license therefore I rarely have really ever driven alone.



I think that beyond having an anxious personality I just know how dangerous driving can be and what a responsibility it is and that in and of itself panics me because I am so afraid of failing the task of simply driving from point A to point B.



Thank GOD I am working it out. Something that helped me was I started giving my neighbor boy rides home in my mom's car (it's down the street, we're in a sub so..) and then on the ride home I would be all alone- it built up my confidence in driving, plus I drive her places I'm comfortable driving and only when I'm comfortable driving. Try driving places you are comfortable WITH someone and slowly build back up to where you want to be.



It's so normal for you that you wouldn't want to get back out there and do that, just know that when and if you want to you WILL be able to do it.



And you know, being a non-drive is ok too. My aunt was and she was a very successful (still is) lady who just happened to not have a license.
I had my 1st full blown panic attack in 1992 while driving

I drive everywhere since and do not worry that someday it might happen again



you CANNOT let your fears get the best of you
You just need for someone to take you behind the barn and give you a sound spanking so you will just stop getting overly nervous..

An old fashioned country doctor told me that when I was getting them and when he said that to me, he made me realize I could just stop it..... and I did.

Psalm 56.3 always helps me %26quot;What time I am afraid I will trust in thee.%26quot;

Try taking that three times a day for your nerves.

I actually wrote the scripture on little pieces of paper and stuck it in a pill bottle and took the scripture as I would take a pill. It worked.
I have had the same thing happen to me. A guy hit me when I was at a stoplight in the rear and it totaled my car. I was scared to death to drive after that. If you have been on medication for 10 months and it isn't working, then you probably need another medication. Talk to your doctor--it takes a while sometimes to get the right medicine. I am driving again--I also had a great support group, and my friend, Heather, had had a wreck and killed someone, and she was an angel about the whole thing. Call your local mental health center and ask for a support group. If they don't have a support group, start your own. It takes time, so don't give up on yourself. If I can be of further help, go to my profile and send me an IM or e-mail. I will be praying for you.
I used Cognitive Behavioural therapy to get rid of my panic attacks (amongst other things I was panicked by driving). It takes a bit of work, but I have found it to be super effective (unlike traditional therapy which didn't work for me).



You can go to the doctor and get refered to a psychologist. Otherwise, you can take a course for free online at: http://www.livinglifetothefull.com/elear… . It has been funded by NHS Scotland and has had great results thus far. A ‘prettier’ version of this type of programme (for general anxiety) can be bought at www.thewellnessshop.co.uk. If you don’t like computers, the best, best book is Dr Robert Burns, The Feeling Good Handbook. It is brilliant and used by many psychologists. Also see http://www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/resource… for good anxiety work sheets and information.



All I can say is CBT changed my life. You might find yourself thinking “this won’t work”, (like I did), but stick with it! I’m sure with a little time and determination you’ll get over the panic. Good luck!
You should do what you can to make yourself more appealing to a stalker. Then, you would never have to be alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment