Wednesday 26 October 2011

Could I have traumatic brain injury? or a serious head injury?

I was in a bad car accident about 7 years ago. The car I was in was turning left, and a car ran a red light and hit us. I was in the passenger seat. I sustained a broken pelvis, and moderate head trauma. I have no recollection of the entire day, the accident, or afterward.



I feel like I have changed so much since my accident.

-My memory is horrible. If I have a conversation with someone and then another person asks me what we talked about, I can't remember much. I can't recall the details.

-I cannot articulate my thoughts. Before my accident I always raised my hand and participated in class discussions. I hardly ever speak in class now, because I don't know how to say what I'm thinking.

-I remember nothing that I learned in my college classes.

-I have a hard time telling people stories, because I cannot put all the pieces together, and often times I don't make sense

-I don't understand jokes as much and find some movies and TV shows confusing

-Basically I have a difficult time understanding concepts that most people get right away.



Does this sound like the symptoms of TBI or head trauma? If so, what can I do to get tested? Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.
Could I have traumatic brain injury? or a serious head injury?
GOB Bluth (I'm SURE there's a cool story with that name),



It seems to me that you show many of the common issues that we people with TBI (mine was in 1973). You talk about memory (by the way, I've heard that our problem isn't a memory problem: our memories are fine. The memory seems to be %26quot;lost%26quot; as it's moving from %26quot;Immediate Memory%26quot; to %26quot;Short Term Memory%26quot;), aphasia (language difficulty), losing track of our own conversations, confusion. If they wrote that you had %26quot;moderate head trauma%26quot;, it's clear you have it. Welcome to the club!



If you want 'testing' (and I assume you mean testing of your residual cognitive skills), I say %26quot;go for it%26quot;. It seems to me that your doctor should be able to refer you to a neuropsychologist for what is called a Neuropsychological Evaluation. This test is usually given over 2 days, as most of the full tests last over 6 hours. I suggest that you get a full night's sleep before both days. I will warn you that part of the test involves you getting tired and them testing how well you perform under the added stress of the fatigue. I've had these tests myself (actually a few times), and they told me a lot about what my deficits were as well as those that remain.



My history and goals: I found myself getting quite depressed after 2 years (when my neurosurgeon told me I would reach a 'permanent and stationary' condition). But then I found myself getting better and I thought that I'd %26quot;dodged the bullet%26quot;. I felt great until I DID hit a 'plateau': then I was devastated until I pulled out of it. I plateaued a second, and then again a third time. Then I looked at my %26quot;Day at a Glance%26quot;s and found that when I sounded depressed in the text (I wrote hundreds of words for each day), it was when I wasn't in school or working a 'stimulating' job. And when I 'picked up' cognitively, as evidenced by my more upbeat text, it was when I either went back to school or a 'stimulating', job. After that, I've made it my life's goal to spread the word of this discovery and how others can maximize their recovery cognitively, emotionally and vocationally.



So get the neuropsych (they can be wonderful as they mostly confirm what you already know, and what you DIDN'T know about can give you more information to be able to cope with whatever cognitive challenges (yep, that's what they are) that are granted you. I'd also suggest attending brain injury support groups: they've helped me both to cope emotionally and learn 'workarounds' for my residual cognitive issues. You can find support groups through your state branch of the Brain Injury Association (www.bia.usa). And thirdly, I'd like to encourage you (well, all of you actually) to feel free to contact me: talk is free. I'm working on a new business offering 'classes' on specific issues around TBI as well as group or individual counseling to help you recover as many skills as you can and 'work around' those skills that don't come back all the way. I'm here to help as much as I can.



John Hatten, CRC, MSEd., MRC

Traumatic Brain Injury Emotional, Cognitive and Vocational Counselor

%26quot;Let's get to work!%26quot;

San Francisco, CA

415/601-9654

415/221-9654 (fax)

tenhatco@mindspring.com

http://XeeSM.com/JohnHatten

Articles/reference letters available at聽http://idisk.mac.com/tenhatco-Public/?vi鈥?/a>



P.S.:
Could I have traumatic brain injury? or a serious head injury?
TBI
  • email
  • clear nail polish
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment