Friday 7 October 2011

How often should I change my Acoustic Guitar Strings?

I play guitar everyday for about 30minutes to an hour, if not more.



Sometimes I am using a pick but just recently I am fingerpicking a lot more.



I am also using Elixer (80/20 Bronze, Light / .012 - .053) Strings recommended by my local music store.



How often should I change them? The music store tells me I need to change my strings about every month( at 拢10/$20 a pack though, they could be just wanting more business from me), but it states on the pack of the elixers:



%26quot;...last 3-5 times longer than ordinary strings.%26quot;



So does this mean I should change them every 3-5months?



Also: I was playing yesterday and I thought %26quot;the strings dont sound as good as they used to%26quot; and then I remembered that I hadn't changed them in over a month. Is it all in my head that they sound different or should my strings be okay for another while?



Help me out please?
How often should I change my Acoustic Guitar Strings?
Depends on many factors. The climate around the guitar, what's on your hands when you play guitar, and how good the strings are. Washing your hands before you play will help extend string life. Not eating/drink/smoking when you play will help. Stuff on your hand will be transfered to your strings.



I honestly wouldn't use Elixirs if you play often like you do. They seem to last longer just sitting there than normal strings do, but when you play them everyday, the string life difference just wasn't worth the price difference.



Now, if you have an acoustic like mine that gets played every 2 to 3 weeks, then it's probably worth getting them. They don't age as much from the open air as normal strings (rust). On my Strat though, I play it everyday and change the strings every 2 weeks so I use D'Addarios. Much Cheaper.



I'd check into D'Addario EXPs and see how you like them. Try some different sets out and see how you like them. It's really the only way to find the strings you like.



But, there are different signs your strings need replacing.

- Doesn't stay in tune anymore

- Strings feel different (more flexible, hard to describe)

- The Strings sound different or lose their tone

- rust
How often should I change my Acoustic Guitar Strings?
Basically when your strings start looking dingy and sound like hell you should change them. If you play a lot then it can be as often as every month. Some pro musicians have their guitar techs put on new strings before every performance.



When you put a new set on they are going to sound a little bright. After a little playing the settled down. After a lot of playing the will start to sound dull and need to eventually be changed. As long as the strings sound relatively decent you can leave them on.



To make them last longer make sure you wipe down your strings and fretboard before and after you play. Using something like FastFret will help them I found.



Elixers are good strings but probably some of the most expensive. If you go through strings often and don't have tons of cash then you can try something else. Fender, Ernie Ball, Gibson, Martin and D'Addario make great strings. Try different ones and see which ones you prefer.



You can search online for bulk packs of strings to save money too. That's what I do.



D'Addario Phosphor Bronze are my favorites. They sound great, last long, and even though they aren't the cheapest are cheaper than the Elixers.

No comments:

Post a Comment