Saturday 24 September 2011

What do you think of my essay?

I had to write an essay about something I'm passionate about, so I chose Drag Racing! I wanted some feedback before I turned it in, so if you could give me some, that would be awesome! Also, if there's something wrong, or not right, please tell me how I can correct it and make my essay better!

Here it is..it's a little long!



You may think drag racing is just slamming on the gas and driving in a straight line, but there’s a lot more to it than that. It’s not always about who gets to the finish line first, like a lot of people think. I thought that was all drag racing was too. There are different kinds of races, cars, and events, and things you might not know about drag racing, which I’ll explain in the next few paragraphs.



First, I’ll tell you about what happens behind the starting line. It’s not just some guy who waves a checkered flag and yells “GO!” There are pre-stage lights and stage lights. What this means is, there’s a “Christmas Tree” as some like to call it, between the two racers, where there are yellow lights, green lights, and red lights. There’s a half second between each light change, and it goes from yellow, to another yellow light, then green, then red. Most drag racers who know what they’re doing hit the gas as soon as the last yellow light above the green light lights up. If you go too early or too late, you automatically lose, this is called red lighting. That’s just some of the stuff that happens before the race begins.



Now let’s talk about the different races involved in drag racing. Head’s up and regular are just some I’ll tell you about. Head’s up racing is whoever gets to the finish line first, sounds easy, right? Not really, but I told you about that in the last paragraph. Another kind of race is the most common drag race. First, you have to do a time trial, this is when a racer speeds down the drag strip, and however long it took him to get from the starting line to the finish line, is his time, and it’s written on his car with window paint. Then, next time the racer is up, when he races against someone else, the winner is determined by whomever’s time is closest to the time written on their car, without going faster. If he goes faster than his time, he automatically loses, this is called breaking out. Those are the 2 most common races that you will see in drag racing.



Now if you decide to go to a drag racing event, plan on bringing a tent! Drag racing usually runs pretty late, so you’ll probably end up spending the night. Bring a golf cart, some dirt bikes, or four wheelers, because where ever drag racing takes place, those vehicles are the only way to get around. And it’s a big place, so don’t plan on walking everywhere! You’ll want to bring a lot of money too, in case you want buy a souvenir, like a cool tee shirt or a keychain!
What do you think of my essay?
Great job. Very interesting. It kept me wanting to read more :)

No comments:

Post a Comment