Saturday 24 September 2011

What do you do when your mind races?

I have PTSD, Bipolar Disorder, and a bunch of other mental problems. Right now I face the problem of my mind is racing at a 1000 miles an hour and I can't control what I am thinking or how long a thought lasts. One minute I can think of something I want to do, and then in the middle of the thought I am worried that I have to change the light bulb, then its what light bulb, then it is something else. It seems likes hundreds of partial thoughts in a second. My Pshrink tells me that it is part of my mental problems and there is no magic drug that helps with this disorder. He recommends that I try to read (I can't), watch TV or a Movie (I can't hold attention that long), try to sleep (I do not sleep) or just do some household task (I have no ambtion or ability to carry out a task, my head racings cause my hands to shake). Just writing this question took me 14 minutes. Any ideas?
What do you do when your mind races?
Dearest Bill, I have been through these moments of mind racing and jumping from activity to activity--and being so wired after a night out or teaching. What works for me is to slow down and choose what I really want to do in the moment, then do it. Not easy, I know. It takes a lot of practice, and sometimes I still go back to hyperactive %26quot;multi-tasking.%26quot; It takes time and effort--and scheduling my time and activities. So that if, for ex., I start going into a cleaning frenzy when I should be grading papers, I can gently remind myself that serious housework and deep cleaning is scheduled for Friday or Sunday. I'm ab. 90 percent there now.



Another thing that helps is for me to sit still, focus on my breath, and let all my thoughts flow, not attaching to any of them and not judging them. This is a form of meditation that works for me when my thoughts are racing, like on the train when there is just too much going on and too many people literally jockeying for position, etc..



Listening to music also helps me--whether sitting still and listening, dancing, or singing. Writing also helps. I'm wondering if you have a favorite hobby or creative activity that you can enjoy, which will help you to focus and calm down, to slip nicely into the zone.



The thing that strikes me tonight as I read and respond to your question is that it might be time for you to see another doctor, to get a second opinion or explore some other options. Sounds like your doctor is great but is likely out of ideas. I'm not against medication, but ten different meds? I don't know, Bill...I don't know.



Deep down you know what you must do, which is why I am suggesting the above meditation practice. Unlike the stereotypical images they show of meditation on tv and in film, there is more to meditation than zoning out and chanting %26quot;ohm.%26quot; Meditation is not a substitute for psychiatric care or therapy, but it is a great complement. It's about getting still and releasing the anxious thoughts so that the real thoughts, the real wisdom, can break through. Very healing. This is also an excellent state of mind for prayer--not the typical kind of prayer where we give God our to-do list, but rather a deep conversation with God in which you share your thoughts all the way through and then listen. Really listen. Within. Then you will be aware when new solutions come. There is always an anwer.



Welcome back, Bill. Missed you. Hope this helps.



Indie
What do you do when your mind races?
Though I would not be able to fully answer your question, but I would say that your doctor (psychiatrist) would be in a better position to assist in this regards. Have a nice day.
I understand what you are describing. You are asking for coping skills, and your psychiatrist has little to offer in that area. He will prescribe meds, but you still need behavioral techniques to use when the meds are ineffective. You might want to see a psychologist - a cognitive behaviorist. Or, if you tell your shrink you want cognitive behavioral therapy he may be able to do that for you... depends on the doctor.



Anyway - here is what I do when my thoughts race uncontrollably like that - any mindless, repetitive task around the house, like folding laundry, sweeping floors, etc. I also like to go for a walk in the woods. I find nature to have a calming effect on my mind.

Writing in a journal sometimes helps too...it provides an outlet for the racing thoughts - it does not have to make sense, it is just %26quot;emptying the trash.%26quot; I don't even go back to read it...I usually burn it .



Hope this helps.
Dear Bill,



I'm sure with %26quot;PTSD, Bipolar Disorder, and a bunch of other mental problems%26quot; you must already be on some heavy-duty prescription medication (e.g. Lithium, etc.). Besides, I'm NOT a psychiatrist, hence NOT really qualified to give you advice on any miraculous remedy/drug that might take the mind races and the associated anxiety away. I’m sure if your attending physician felt that there was a magic pill that would further offer you some comfort without negative side effects and/or interaction with your other medication, he would have prescribed it already. Of course, if you suspect that he has dropped the ball in this case, you can always seek a second opinion - in fact, sometimes it's highly recommended. My personal hunch is that you are already taking too many medications as it is, some of which might even be contributing to your racing mind symptoms - dose adjustment, for example, as I'm sure you realize, is a non-trivial issue in managing chronic mental illness.



Anyway, having said all that, and as a natural complement to your ongoing drug therapy, I have the following suggestion that might be worth a try [given you have a clean bill of “physical health” and are able to put it into practice]: Why not try to “burn off” the “extra racing thoughts” by going for brisk walks or doing some aerobic exercises every time you feel overwhelmed? Having a loving pet around sometimes serves as a great source of distratcion as well. Still, as you know, there is an underlying organic component of “the racing mind” that you have no control over due to the mental illness. That said, many of your symptoms and your overall anxiety levels maybe greatly reduced/alleviated through appropriate “mindset/behavioral” modifications. If you could actively try and train your mind/yourself on a daily basis to: 1) not be a perfectionist, concerned with every little detail/incident in your life, and 2) only tackle issues that you have immediate control over, while consciously avoiding/discarding the anxiety producing ones that you don’t, you’ll be helping yourself tremendously.



Another important consideration is sticking to a healthy diet with plenty of fruits [Nature’s feel-good foods], vegetables %26amp; other complex carbohydrates and avoiding, milk [pure poison as far as I’m concerned], dairy products, gluten, and red meat, as much as possible. Good luck and I wish you much health, happiness, and prosperity, my friend.

.

.

.
your doctor is a tool. There are meds that help that. I know because I'm on a couple. Are you seeing a psychologist or a psychiatrist? A psychiatrist should know what's available to help you and if he doesn't you need to find someone else. I'm a mental wreck without my meds, but with them I can think far more clearly because it's slowed down.



Oh, and to specifically answer the question. I journal like mad to try to catch everything that's flying through my head. At times it's all that can hold my attention.
I feel I understand a little about the %26quot;mind racing%26quot; problems you are having, as I have also experienced them. Though I don't have the listed tags your shrink has labelled, the %26quot;mind racing%26quot; always seems worst when I need to sleep, so now I don't try to sleep but attempt to read %26quot;The People's Friend%26quot; which is an English/Scottish magazine...it's actually boring. It seems to do the trick for me. I think that an overactive mind linked to an underactive body equals STRESS, so maybe go for a good walk or run (borrow a neighbours dog) to see if that helps. At least it shouldn't make you feel any worse. Maybe a pet would help you, someone to look after. I wish you well. Good Luck!
my boyfriend has Bipolar Disorder, so i know where you're coming from. Are you creative? when he is feeling particularly manic, he turns to his creative side. he writes, practices with his band, etc. i would suggest maybe going for a long, peaceful walk. this could help you %26quot;wind down%26quot;.
i totally understand - what meds did ur dr put u on. I had the same problem and a low dose of lamictal helped. While yes there is no magic drug to cure all - the rite med combination can definetly help slow down ur thoughts so u can succeed with ur therapy. Time for a new Dr.
Sound like you got it bad i was just wondering if music don't help im also similar to you i have depression and im also paro and scared and my mind never stop racing what i find helps is to watch some old english comedy i know you can't concentrate but you don't have to but the good thing is the people in the movie are all bonkers aswell.

No comments:

Post a Comment