Saturday 4 June 2011

Can I replace a driver's side mirror myself?

My driver%26#039;s side mirror got broken some how. It%26#039;s just the actual mirror glass itself that is broken, there is nothing wrong with the setting it was in or anything. I tested the setting just to make sure it was okay, I tried pushing it and pulling it and shaking it, but it is just as secure as always.





So I bought a replacement mirror yesterday. I went to a shop and they told me that couldn%26#039;t do it, because they couldn%26#039;t obtain just the glass and could only get the whole setting. I called the dealer and they want to charge me $300 to put the new mirror glass in.





Do you think I could replace it myself? I have a 2004 Nissan Sentra.





I am pretty good at doing basic repairs myself. I can change head lights and my oil and filters and stuff like that.|||$300 is insane for some rubberized sticky stuff and 10 mins of time.. All you need is some good epoxy, or double sided tape (epoxy is better) put the epoxy or tape on the points of the mirror frame that will contact the glass, stick it in, hold it there for a few seconds and you%26#039;re done. You can also buy plastic replacement mirrors that you cut to size, from most autoparts stores.|||Try this link: www.AutoMirrorGlassOnly.com


They sell just the glass portion of the outside mirror. Otherwise it would have cost $500.00 to replace the whole mirror assembly,

Report Abuse


|||Call someone like Safelite glass,or other distributor.They should be able to cut you one,if they have mirror glass in stock.If you can not find one that does,then call your local body shop and see if they have a supplier they can get one from.|||jm got it then just glue it on or have auto glass company do it not dealership|||get some good glue and stick it on/whats the big deal|||If you can buy (or have made) just the glass part itself, I see no reason why you couldn%26#039;t. I have replaced several myself. Broke the mirror on my GMC Sierra this summer, cost about $8 for the replacement mirror glass. Yours might be more than that, might even have to go to the Nissan dealer to get the mirror. Just break out the old mirror, take a razor and scrape off the old mounting adhesive, and put the new mirror in with the supplied adhesive. Most of the replacements come with double sided tape, I don%26#039;t use that. I use clear silicone to mount mine. Might want to use masking tape to hole it in place while it dries.

No comments:

Post a Comment